Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Day 1

Maybe making a blog was a mistake, because I'm pretty sure words can't describe most of the things I'm experiencing.  Best sight from the flight-


(Click on the photos for a larger, higher res image.) I didn't get to see anything as we landed in Paris, but when we took off again the plane actually circled the city and I had incredible views.  I did not expect to be able to find the Eiffel tower; I clearly didn't realize how easy it would be to spot!

Then, as we were landing in Beirut I could see the city and the televisions were playing loud Lebanese music and showing people dancing, it was pretty exciting.  I got to my hotel and was greeted with fresh mango juice.  I was pretty exhausted by this time (and the traffic and driving is all crazy!!) so was just happy to eat, shower and sleep.

Stepping out of the airport and first sight of the city-


This morning, I had a delicious breakfast complete with halva and more "exotic juice".  So far the food is definitely NOT disappointing!


 Next my friend and I just wandered off down the street, heading toward the Mediterranean... we walked for an hour or two along the coast taking in the sights before heading back to the (rooftop) hotel pool because it was around 10 am and already getting HOT!




These beautiful flowers (gladiolas I think?) are growing everywhere like wildflowers.

Now I'm relaxing in my room, I feel like it's been a full day and it's only 12:30 in the afternoon, the time I normally enjoy waking up :)  The plan for the evening is to head to Gemmayzeh district for dinner, which apparently is known for its restaurants and nightlife.  Other than that, I don't know, but it has already been an amazing first day.

No comments: